Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What ever happened to .....

Well I thought the idea of a blog was to get a dialogue going, so I’ll jump in with a big “Aloha” to all my former classmate and a big thank you to those of you who are volunteering your time to put together this reunion. I am flattered to be included and invited to join you all in November but it is doubtful that I will be in that part of the world over Thanksgiving. We will actually be hosting family here in Kona so if you happen to find yourself in Hawaii you are invited to “reunion” with us. Dinner will of course be after a day at the beach. Plus I try not to visit Swarthmore when the temperature is below 60.

My wife and I were in the neighborhood at the end of July to catch-up with family and to see “Bruce” live at Giant Stadium, which I have to say was in the top three concerts I have ever seen, only topped by U2 (with Pearl Jam) at Aloha stadium or Live Aid at JFK way back in the day. We were able to catch up and spend the weekend in Cape May with 3 of my sisters, Catherine (Brooklyn), her twin Maggie (Media), and my youngest sister Barb (Amherst MA) all of whom are doing well. Catherine did confess to divulging my email to one of the organizer of this event and her punishment will be that the Mets will again finish second to the Phillies in the NL east. Just a little family rivalry that keeps us texting across the globe.

My parents are still living in Swarthmore so I am usually in town once a year or so. But three of my 4 daughters are living in No. Cal. So our traveling often is to visit with them and to see the grandchildren, (12yrs, 2.5yrs, 18mo, 4mo.). I’m sure it’s the same for many of us. Hope you all have a great get together and I’m sorry to send my regrets, I’m sure it will be on my mind come that weekend and if you do find yourself visiting the Big Island please feel free to drop me email.

I’m looking forward to reading the blog so don’t be shy, write something or post your picture.

3 comments:

Cathy Foley Garvey said...

Hi Phil!

Thanks for stepping up and updating us! Hawaii? Lucky you! We were there a few summers ago...I may have to dig up a picture to post! Can you id the people in the picture? Are those your daughters or your sisters? Everyone looks great!

Owen said...

Wow, Hawaii, a dream destination for most folks, but some call it home... great to see your name and hear some news Phil, jeez, it's been ages! I ran into Maggie in Media quite a few years ago, she was hanging out with some people who had a band... Jimmy Shoe and the Shine... good music ! So how did you end up in Hawaii??? Do tell... what are you doing there? If you ever get to Paris, look me up... best, Owen
owenphil@wanadoo.fr

ASIZZLE said...

Aloha and Mahalo Phil! Never been to HI and I don't think I'd leave if I did. I do have some friends there that sportfish in Honokohau Harbor, Kona. I've been tempted to get out there, but know there would be no turning back...maybe I could sell my return flight on ebay. Maki and Ahi or Aku for Thanksgiving I presume?
Wow, grandchildren, does not get any cooler than that Phil.
You got a little (much younger though) Don Ho thing going on there in the picture...Mahalo once again! I used to be able to say the Hawaiian word for trigger-fish, can't anymore though...ring a bell?
I've been sportfishing most of my adult life and don't regret one detail other than being gone from home too much.
I remember your Mom & Dad at the pool swimming a lot, very glad to hear they are well!
All the best Phil.
Mahalo again,
allen siz...sizzle